Now that the kids are back to school and the temperatures are (kind of) more mild, fall is the perfect time for outdoor exercise. And for a low-impact routine that packs a big punch, you can’t go wrong with pool exercise. One of the common swimming pool exercises is pool walking. This is an easy and effective water activity that requires absolutely no swimming skills or equipment- just you, your pool and maybe some music to keep you going! When performed in waist-deep water, pool walking combines the cardiovascular efforts of aerobics, the toning of weight training and the enhanced flexibility gained through yoga.
Fact: Due to viscosity, drag forces and frontal resistance, water provides a resistance which is proportional to the effort exerted against it. Resistance in water ranges between 4 and 42 times greater than in air – depending on the speed of movement. ~ http://hydroco.com/
This means that you will be burning more calories in the pool than on land!
Benefits of Water Exercises
- Water is a natural and instantly adjustable weight training machine, providing resistance in all directions to tone and strengthen the muscles. Because of this, pool walking also promotes balance in muscle development in addition to the cardiovascular benefits that you achieve.
- Water workouts effectively burn fat and strengthen the abdominal muscles. This is the result of your body stabilizing itself while maintaining balance as it reacts to the buoyancy of the water around you. The movements are low impact and joint friendly, helping you prevent injuries as well as heal them.
- In water, resistance determines your intensity. You are in charge! Go at your own pace- set your own intensity level by incorporating speed, force, or surface area. Adding arm movements under the water will add to the challenge since the arms have to work to propel you through the water; by increasing speed, you increase the intensity of the workout.
- Pool walking is an easy and fun exercise that can be performed at your own pace and intensity. It is a fun, simple activity that is great for older adults and those who’s swimming skills may be less than par or anyone else who wants a change-of-pace workout!
Pool Walking Tips
We’ve gathered a few tips to help you get the most out of your pool walking workout.
- Switch up your speed and intensity at random intervals to get the most out of your pool walking workout. You may not be able to keep up high-intensity spurts for long, but keep working them in. This gives your heart and your muscles a better workout and studies show that this kind of interval training can stimulate your body to burn fat even after your workout!
- Consider wearing pool shoes to protect your feet from blistering and cuts. You might not realize how hard on your soles pool walking can be until you’ve finished.
- Consider wearing a baggy t-shirt or shorts to create additional drag. This will give you a better workout.
- Make sure you maintain an active pace that keeps your heart rate up. But if you’re not able to carry on a conversation, you may be pushing yourself too hard. Ease up a little until you feel an improvement in your breathing.
- Once you feel the pool walk is getting easier, it’s time to pick up the pace or bring in some extra resistance. Try incorporating water weights for an added boost to your routine. If you don’t have any water weights, just fill an empty carton of milk with water until it’s the right weight for you. Pump your arms in the water while holding these weights and walking to increase the challenge.
So, get up and maximize your Florida Fall Fun! Enjoy pool walking and be healthier!
For more outdoor tips and ideas, or swimming exercises visit our Pinterest page.
About All Seasons Pools
All Seasons Pools has been a trusted pool expert for Orlando, St.Augustine, Jacksonville, The Villages and other Atlantic coast communities since 1979. Started by John and Diane Watts, they specialize in creating amazing and unique backyard retreats for families to enjoy, including top-of-the-line custom pools and amazing outdoor living areas. They work hard to fulfill their motto to “leave every customer with a smile.”
As members of the Association of Pool & Spa Professions and Florida Swimming Pool Association, they put a strong emphasis on being strong, reliable builders and staying up-to-date on the latest pool industry technology and design trends. Visit their swimming pool gallery to see pools ranging from signature and geometric designs to natural forms.
Are you ready to get started on your Florida backyard getaway? Design your pool with our interactive guide and schedule your free consultation today!
For more pool maintenance and outdoor living tips, you can subscribe to All Seasons Pools’ blog and follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google +.